Chichen – Itza

Bookmark and Share

 

This holiday season I needed to reconnect with some of my roots and I decided to enjoy the wonders that the Mayan Riviera has to offer in my home country of Mexico.  Poor me.

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 019 Feathered Serpent

 

One of my favourite moments was when I went to visit the archeological site of Chichen – Itza. 

 

Chichen-Itza, is now included as one of the new 7 wonders of the world; the Kukulkan Pyramid, is located in the Peninsula of Yucatan, in the Yucatan State; Mexico, between Valladolid and Merida and is just 120 km from Merida or 220 km from the Mayan Riviera.

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 021 The Kulkulkan Pyramid

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 018A happy tourist in my home-land

 

“The Maya name "Chich'en Itza" means "At the mouth of the well of the Itza." This derives from chi', meaning "mouth" or "edge", and ch'e'en, meaning "well." Itzá is the name of an ethnic-lineage mayan  group that gained political and economic dominance of the northern peninsula. The name is believed to derive from the Maya itz, meaning "magic," and (h)á, meaning "water." Itzá in Spanish is often translated as "Brujas del Agua (Witches of Water)" but a more precise translation would be Magicians of Water.”– Wikipedia.

 

I was so inspired by this anthropologic site that I took several shots that I would like to share with you.

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 030 The Thousand Columns

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 046 Temple of the Warriors

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 061Great Ball Court

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 065 Sacred Box Seat of the Great Ball Court

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 067Sacred Box Seat

 

Mexico 2010 Ivan & Jeff 057 Sacred Cenote of Chichen – Itza

 

There is a funny anecdote about this “Cenote”.  When I was a handsome high school student, one of my best friends used to make fun of me saying that the colour of my eyes were as green as the waters of Sacred Cenote of Chichen – Itza.  And to my surprise, now that I have seen it, the murky waters where indeed the colour of my beautiful green eyes.

 

World famous British singer, composer and pianist Sir Elton John will be performing a unique concert at Chichen - Itza on the 3rd of April of 2010.  A concert I would love to see.

 

.

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment